And indeed the metro is an outstanding achievement.
The Emiratis are taking immense pride in it.
To which I respond ... why?
Look at it this way.
* The overall design of the infrastructure was done by the British, French and Singaporeans
* The design and build of the rolling stock was a Japanese effort
* The civil engineering design was British
* The civil engineering construction was managed and supervised by Turkish interests
* The raw physical work was carried out by virtual slave labourers from Southern Asia
* The money for the project came from oil that was discovered, extracted, refined and distributed by foreign (mainly Western) interests.
So what the fuck are they so proud about?