Friday, 19 October 2007

Stalin lives

Re my earlier post, yesterday, Dr Watson issued an apology.

"Science is no stranger to controversy and I am not one to shy away from tackling issues, however, difficult they might prove to be," he said.

"I have had my share of controversy, as many of you know. But I am mortified about what has happened. "More importantly, I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said. I can certainly understand why people, reading those words, have reacted in the ways they have.
"To all those who have drawn the inference from my words that Africa, as a continent, is somehow genetically inferior, I can only apologize unreservedly. "That is not what I meant. More importantly from my point of view, there is no scientific basis for such a belief. "


In effect, as in the best Stalinist show trials, he has apologised for his sins and pleaded insanity. But in this instance, the midnight knock and gun to the head have been replaced by suspension from his job and general blackballing. The witch has been burned,Galileo has recanted, and the PC Thought Police have won another battle against the truth emerging.

A scandal.

8 comments:

Hibernia Girl said...

Awful that he apologized. Aargh.

HG

rebel said...

Sickening. I'm amazed that his apology has been so abject.

hubert van. O. said...

Huge disappointment. We're turning our backs on the Enlightenment

Anonymous said...

I'd say he was afraid of getting abullet

shirley said...

I expected that he'dbe forced to retract a bit, but the strength of the PC Big Brother is truly frightening

magnus said...

Pathetic! Depressing!

Londoner said...

It turns out that being a genius doesn't mean you're a nice person. That's a lesson that the Science Museum reinforced today as they cancelled a talk by scientist Dr James Watson, winner of the 1962 Nobel Prize for his work in discovering the structure of DNA.

SAVANT said...

AND WHAT THE FUCK HAS BEING NICE GOT TO DO WITH IT? Would you rather he came out with nice things that were unscientific? For fuck sake, what crap.